Here at Japha, we've undertaken a variety of initiatives to show we care - about our customers, our staff, the local community and the whole planet.
Collectively we call these initiatives Japha Earth, a project dedicated to identifying and following through on opportunities to make our planet a better place.
Many people tend to forget that as a society our two greatest resources are - (i) other people (both locally and throughout our global village),
and (ii) our environment.
There's a variety of actions we can all take to make sure we're doing our part to look after these precious resources. Some that we've gone with
at Japha so far are:
- using server virtualization to reduce our power consumption
- storing documents electronically rather than printing hard copies wherever possible
- running some of our servers primarily off solar power during the day - backed up by regular power from the grid of course - we still need to work when it's cloudy!
- ensuring that our old IT equipment gets reused or recycled - organisations such as Buyequip can help with this
- opting for carbon offset options where offered (e.g. on aeroplane flights)
- encouraging our staff to install solar panels to reduce their own impact on the environment
- making sure we always have a positive work environment - this benefits both our staff and our customers
- encouraging our customers to reduce their environmental impact
- donating to various charities - including the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Guide Dogs Association, RSPCA and World Vision
- some of our Avira products have a donation to the Auerbach Foundation included in the purchase price
How you can make a difference
Everyone needs a computer these days, there's no doubt about that. A lot of the world's computers work long hours, and we can reduce the
environmental impact (and save money) by cutting down on our power usage. There are a variety of iniatives you can take with regards to reducing
your IT's environmental impact:
- server virtualization
- low-power options where suitable (e.g. lighting)
- installing solar panels to generate your own clean power
- ensuring your old equipment gets disposed of properly
And of course there are plenty of other ways you can make a difference apart from reducing your IT carbon footprint... but we'll leave those up to you.